The Whippet Health Foundation, Inc. was founded in 1999 by a group of people dedicated to the long term health of the breed we love so much.
We are a 501-c3 non-profit corporation so donations to help us with our work are tax deductable to the extent specified by US tax laws.
You can access a copy of our by-laws by clicking
The Whippet Health Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit charitable Corporation formed to provide financial and other support for individuals and
organizations focusing their charitable, educational and research efforts on dogs in general and the Whippet in particular.
The specific objectives and purposes of this Foundation shall include but not be limited to the following:
- To further the understanding of diseases, genetic anomalies, injuries and other ailments that affect dogs in general and the Whippet in particular.
- To support and promote research on diseases, genetic anomalies, injuries, other ailments, the genetics and breeding of the Whippet.
- To establish a data base of health and scientific educational and resource materials on the Whippet.
- To develop and make available to general public and Whippet fanciers information about the proper care, breeding, health and development of Whippets.
TO ADVANCE THESE PURPOSES, THE FOUNDATION WILL FUND PROJECTS IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- VETERINARY RESEARCH: Projects which promote and develop understanding of diseases, genetic anomalies or injuries which affect dogs in general and the Whippet in particular.
- GENERAL RESEARCH: Projects which promote and develop understanding of the health, development, and breeding of the Whippet with emphasis on projects which will provide or generate useful data which can be communicated to the general public and the Fancy.
- WHIPPET RELATED: Funding may be granted for other worthy Whippet related projects not specifically falling within any of the foregoing categories and permitted under the laws governing the Foundation.
Since the Foundation may have limited financial resources, it prefers to make Grants where the impact of it's contribution will be significant to the donee and/or will generate significant results. Examples of such Grants are:
- Seed money for a project.
- Matching grants.
- Ongoing funding for projects in which a significant result is anticipated.
Although on occasion the Foundation may provide all the funding for a given project, in most cases only a portion of a projected budget will be underwritten,
usually as a challenge grant with the express condition that the balance of the funds be raised from other sources. The Foundation can serve as a catalyst
to leverage support from other donors. The Foundation will not provide funds for administration or overhead of a project.
The Whippet Health Foundation, Inc. will accept grant and project proposals at any time. Those determined worthy by the Board of Directors will be funded
based on the availability of funds. The Guidelines and Procedures for Grant Applications shall be applicable to all grant requests. The Board of Directors
is not required to distribute any particular percentage of available funds to any particular area. In all cases the division of funds will be determined
on the basis of the worthiness of the projects under consideration.
Grants will be made ONLY when organizations commit to providing evaluation reports.