WHF Futurity Incentive Program
FUTURITY HEALTH TESTING CASH INCENTIVE
The Whippet Health Foundation, Inc. (WHF) strongly encourages health testing for all Whippets, especially those involved in breeding programs. Health test results made public through the WHF database and Canine Health Information Center (CHIC) provide breeders the type of information which allows them to make more educated breeding decisions. As always, the goal is to maintain and improve Whippet health.
The WHF now offers financial recognition to those breeders who health test and share test results publicly. Beginning in 2015, if the both the sire and dam of a class winner at the American Whippet Club Futurity have current CHIC numbers, the class winner will receive a $100 reward. After CHIC numbers are verified, a check will be sent to the breeder of record. No more than $100 per class will be awarded. If a litter is co-bred, the $100 will go to the breeder who actually whelped and raised the litter.
The sire and dam shall be deemed CHIC listed if they appear on the CHIC data base 10 days before the judging of the Futurity.
CHIC requirements are:
- Entry into the Whippet Health Foundation database.
- Eye Examination: Performed by a board-certified ACVO ophthalmologist with results registered in the OFA database or CERF database. This test is required yearly for current CHIC status.
- Congenital Cardiac Database: OFA evaluation by a board-certified cardiologist. The examination must include an echocardiogram. This test is required yearly for current CHIC status.
- Congenital Deafness: OFA evaluation based on BAER test or GDC evaluation based on BAER test.
CHIC Optional testing:
- Autoimmune thyroiditis (optional): OFA evaluation from an approved laboratory.
- Hip Dysplasia (optional): OFA Evaluation.
For information on CHIC go to www.caninehealthinfo.org
A CHIC number is issued when test results listed above are entered into the CHIC database, and when the owner of the dog has opted to release the results into the public domain. Since CHIC lists both normal and abnormal test results, no Whippet will be prevented from participating in the Futurity.
It is the hope of the WHF that this program will encourage health testing and participation in the open data base and CHIC.